My Birth Story for Baby #2: Trying (and Failing) for a VBAC

Trying for a VBAC

Baby #2’s Birth Story: Trying (and Failing) for a VBAC

When I became pregnant with my second baby (read about my first baby’s birth story here) my first order of business was talking about a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean).

“I want a VBAC,” I told my doctor at my twelve-week appointment. Surprisingly, she pulled out her phone. After a few taps into an app only OBGYNs know about, she told me I had a 54% chance at a vaginal delivery and anything over 50% she was happy to go for. Our plan was sealed.

More than anything, I wanted a VBAC. I’m sure vaginal birth is no joke, but I did not enjoy my C-section recovery and now with a 2-year-old to pick up and run after, I was even more determined to avoid the OR.

As with my first’s birth story, I went a week late. When I went in for my 41-week appointment my doctor told me she’d have to schedule the C-section for the next day. She reasoned that they won’t induce someone who’d already had a C-section and if I went much past 41-weeks, the baby would most likely be too big for me to push out anyway. I was disappointed but accepted my fate.

Unsuccessful vbac

Trying for a VBAC is accepting it might not work out, but knowing you gave it your all.

I went home and relaxed, knowing that within 24-hours I’d meet my baby. I even let myself feel relief knowing how this story would end. But when I got home, I started feeling contractions. I went to walk around the mall for a little, however I kept having to stop because the contractions were getting worse.

The rest of the day I felt absolutely awful, like I was getting the flu. I still wasn’t convinced I was in labor, especially since I had just accepted my scheduled/contraction-free C-section for the next day. But over the course of 20 minutes or so my mild contractions got more regular and then — my water broke. This baby was not waiting for her C-section.

My parents came over to watch my daughter and my husband and I headed for the hospital. When I arrived, the nurses and doctor gave me a choice: immediate C-section or try for a VBAC. I knew I’d always regret it if I didn’t even try, so I opted to labor and see where it took me.

We settled into the birthing room, got my epidural, and tried to rest. At 4 a.m. the doctor came in and told me that I was 10 cm. But just like the last time, it turned out the baby was still very high in my pelvis so they had me labor for a few more hours before trying to push, hoping she would descend.

Finally, at 7 a.m. it was time to start pushing. I pushed for almost an hour before my doctor looked up from where she was sitting and said, “This is not going to happen.” I wasn’t surprised, and I was definitely disappointed, but at that point I just wanted you my baby out and in my arms.

Just like last time, I was in the OR within 10 minutes and my beautiful baby girl was out 10 minutes later. The C-section took almost 1.5 hours this time because there was a lot of scar tissue to clean up from my first C-section.

The whole time they cleaned me up, my husband held my daughter next to my head so I could study her perfect pink lips and delicious cheeks.

Come back next week for our final installment of how I ended up with 3 perfect babies and 3 C-sections.

At Insurance Covered Breast Pumps, we know that the pumping life is mom life. And we want you to be successful!

See if your insurance will cover one of our brand name breast pumps by clicking here and follow our Facebook and Instagram for more pumping tips.