Pregestimil® DHA & ARA – Formula for fat malabsorption problems
Pregestimil is an infant formula designed for infants who experience fat malabsorption and who may also be sensitive to intact proteins. Fat malabsorption or steatorrhea may be associated with cystic fibrosis, short bowel syndrome, intractable diarrhea and severe protein calorie malnutrition.
Long-Term Usage: Pregestimil is designed to provide a sole source of nutrition for infants up to age 6 months, and to provide a major source of nutrition through 12 months of age. Normally, in feeding infants, gradual introduction of solid foods after 4–6 months of age is an important developmental as well as nutritional step.
In cases of chronic malabsorption disorders, Pregestimil is sometimes continued as a milk substitute in the diet of children. This and similar supplemental use of Pregestimil in the diet beyond 12 months of age may make a significant contribution to the maintenance of good nutrition in such patients, and is not known to be harmful in any way. When Pregestimil is used as a milk substitute, the total calcium content of the diet should be assessed.
Extended use of Pregestimil (or other infant formulas) as a sole source of diet is most appropriately monitored by physicians and nutritionists on a case-by-case basis.
- Hypoallergenic protein source (extensively hydrolyzed casein)
- 55% of the fat from medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) oil
- Designed for infants with fat malabsorption problems
- Ready to use is virtually isotonic
- DHA and ARA, important nutrients also found in breast milk, that promote brain and eye development1-8
- Available in both powder and Nursette® bottles